Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Walkabout

I have come to realised that my topic for the blog is following the progress of my library upkeep. Recently I reviewed this batch of pictures taken when I went for a walkabout along Singapore River, ending up in National Museum of Singapore. This was also the time I got hold of my High Dense Neutral Density filter for Long Exposures. I wanted to experiment before my New Zealand trip.


A fellow photographer once wrote to me saying "... photographers secretly love black and white". I did not buy that. Not that I don't like B&W pictures, but I don't exclusively go out to take B&W photos. So it came as a surprise that when I was reviewing this batch of images, I inadvertently processed them in B&W.


Some of these scenes, I had went out specifically to capture them in colours. The multi coloured Alkaff Bridge for instance, I have long wanted a perfect shot of this bridge for its colours are so inviting. I have yet gotten the picture I want of it but that is another story. Yet now, I find myself preferring the B&W version.


Magic happens to the images with the absence of colours. Suddenly, you can see the shapes much clearer. The tonality of the images becomes very apparent. In fact, the picture is defined by it - it is the life of the picture. In the absence of colour, you are not distracted. There is a timeless appeal to daylight pictures in B&W. Here are some for you to decide.




No comments:

Post a Comment